RAM Authorization Approval Process
- Complete the Application for Use of Radioactive Materials (PDF) with the information detailed in the Radioactive Materials Safety Manual
- Forward the application through Campus Mail to EH&S, 2408 Wanda Daley Drive / 3602 and wait for notification of its status.
- Have each laboratory member who is to be listed on the RAM authorization complete the following on-line radiation safety courses at the Learn@ISU:
- Radiation Safety for Material Users-Part 1
- Radiation Safety for Material Users-Part 2
- Radiation Safety for Material Users-Part 3
- Have each laboratory member who is to be listed on the RAM authorization register for Radiation Safety for Material Users-Part 4, Performance Based classroom training through the Learn@ISU.
- Have each laboratory member who is to be listed on the RAM authorization complete the Radioactive Material Worker Application and bring application to Radiation Safety for Material Users-Part 4 class. You will not be admitted to the class without this application.
- The Radiation Safety Committee will review the application. Upon approval you will receive a copy of your Radioactive Materials Use Authorization.
- Review carefully the Radioactive Materials Use Authorization from the Radiation Safety Committee concerning your application's approval (note conditions for use and possession limits).
- Review Responsibilities of the Principal Investigator section of the Radiation Safety Manual.
- Contact EH&S to arrange for the set-up of your laboratory for radionuclide use.
- Review waste handling procedures, laboratory rules and other operational information within the Radiation Safety Manual.
- Meet with EH&S staff personnel during the laboratory set-up to discuss any questions you may have regarding operational matters.
- Review the procedure for ordering radioactive material and follow it carefully during ordering.