Iowa State University strives to promote a safe environment in which to complete research, teaching and learning. Everyone plays a role in creating that environment.
Iowa State University
Iowa State University is responsible for ensuring the safety of its employees and for complying with applicable local, state and federal regulations. University administration places a high value on safety and encourages employees at all levels to promote positive attitudes regarding safety, to incorporate safety into their work practices, and to cooperate fully in the implementation of safety-related programs.
Each university department is responsible for evaluating areas under its administrative control and adapting university environmental, safety, and health programs in order to meet regulatory requirements, keep work areas hazard-free, and ensure that employees complete all safety training requirements.
Departments are encouraged to establish safety committees.
Principal Investigators, farm, laboratory, and shop supervisors and instructors
Principal Investigators, laboratory supervisors and instructors are responsible for ensuring that university environment, safety, and health policies and guidelines are strictly followed by all employees, collaborating researchers, other visitors, and students under their administrative control. Principal Investigators, farm, laboratory, and shop supervisors and instructors are responsible for:
- knowing Iowa State's commitment to a safe workplace (PDF)
- ensuring safe work practices for you and your staff
- assessing and identifying all chemical, biological, radiological, and physical hazards
- completing a Hazard Inventory form (PDF)
- establishing safety precautions and safe laboratory procedures (PDF)
- providing and documenting initial and continuing safety training
- informing students and staff of emergency evacuation routes
- reporting all accidents and injuries in the workplace
- post door signage/hazard communication signage at room entrance.
University Policy Library
The university policy library contains a section entitled Safety and Health where university safety policies and procedures are maintained.