RPD/X-Ray Authorization Approval Process
At Iowa State University, each new project which involves the use of a radiation‑producing device must be specifically authorized by EH&S and by the Radiation Safety Committee (RSC). Minor changes to previously approved projects, such as the addition of new personnel, require the approval of EH&S. No student or member of the staff or faculty at Iowa State University may use x-ray equipment without this written approval.
- Obtain a copy of the form, Application for Use of X-Rays and Radiation Producing Devices (PDF) from the EH&S website or from EH&S at (515) 294-5359. A principal Investigator (PI) is defined as the authorized user who assumes responsibility for the control and safe use of the x-ray system.
- Complete the application for use with the information detailed in Section B of the X-Ray Saftey Manual.
- Forward the application via Campus Mail to Radiation Safety Officer, EH&S, 2408 Wanda Daley Drive / 3602 or fax the form to (515) 294-9357.
- Schedule an initial x-ray survey with EH&S at (515) 294-5359.
Training and Dosimetry
- Successfully complete the online X-Ray Safety Fundamentals Training. Annual re-training is required.
- Return completed X-Ray/Radiation Producing Device Worker Application (PDF) form through Campus Mail to EH&S, 2408 Wanda Daley Drive / 3602 or fax the form to (515) 294-9357.
- Complete x-ray device-specific training for each worker. See Section B of the X-Ray Safety Manual for additional information. A copy of the training contents and an attendance record must be maintained. This is the responsibility of the lab.
- Complete the core lab training requirements, including a review of emergency procedures specific to the lab. EH&S has a training needs-assessment tool to help determine your training needs.
Authorization for use
- After completion of the initial x-ray survey and any associated corrective actions, you will receive your authorization. Review carefully the written notification from the Radiation Safety Officer concerning your application’s approval.
- Review “Principal Investigator Responsibilities” in Section B of the X-Ray Safety Manual.
- Successfully complete the online X-Ray Safety Fundamentals Training.
- Return the completed X-Ray/Radiation Producing Device Worker Application (PDF) form to: EH&S, 2408 Wanda Daley Drive / 3602 or fax the form to (515) 294-9357.
Retraining / Audits / Surveys
- Annual refresher retraining is required. Currently, this is the same as the original training and can be found online at the Learn@ISU.
- EH&S will audit the x-ray authorization annually. A copy of the X-Ray Audit Form (PDF) can be found on the EH&S website.
- X-Ray surveys are performed annually and after maintenance or repair. Please contact EH&S at (515) 294-5359 to schedule a survey following maintenance or repair of your radiation producing device.