The following steps may be utilized during SOP development.
- Conduct a hazard assessment. See video below.
- Develop site-specific SOPs. SOPs may be created based on any of the following categories:
- Individual Hazardous Chemical: (arsenic, benzene, hydrofluoric acid, etc.)
- Chemical Hazard Class: (corrosive, flammable, oxidizer, etc.)
- Process: (chromatography, distillation, synthesis, analysis, decontamination, etc.)
- Special Procedures: (carcinogens, reproductive toxins, teratogens, highly toxic substances, explosives, controlled substances, select biological agents, radioactive materials, radiation producing devices, and lasers)
- Train personnel on SOP and document the training.
The EH&S SOP Template (pdf) contains sections for the necessary health and safety information.
The template is also available as a Word document.
The SOP Template Guidance Document (pdf) provides additional guidance and helpful examples.
More information on SOP requirements can be found in the Laboratory Safety Manual