Information for Disposable Respirator Users
The information on this sheet is intended for employees using respirators and meets requirements outlined in Appendix D of OSHA’s Respiratory Protection Standard 29 CFR 1910.134. Each employee using a disposable respirator must be given access to this instruction sheet.
Disposable Respirator Use
Disposable respirators are designed to filter particles of non-toxic airborne contaminants at levels below permissible limits. Disposable respirators that are part of job requirements are considered mandatory and employees must complete a medical review, annual training and annual fit test to be certified to wear a respirator at Iowa State University. Certification is not required when employees choose to wear dust mask respirators voluntarily. Regardless of the reason for use, all users must read and follow these use, storage and disposal guidelines.
- Read and follow all instructions provided by the manufacturer on use, maintenance, cleaning, care, and warnings regarding respirator limitations.
- Ensure a good face to facepiece seal is achieved before each use. Respirator users must clear hair away from areas where the respirator contacts the face.
- Choose respirators certified by NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health). A label or statement of certification should appear on the respirator or the packaging. All respirators available at ISU Central Stores meet this requirement.
- Wear respirators only for atmospheric contaminants for which they are designed. DO NOT use them for lead, asbestos, cadmium, gases, vapors, very small solid particles of fumes or smoke.
- Do not share respirators with other users.
- Protect respirators from moisture, dust or other contaminants by storing them in plastic zip-lock bags or containers that can be sealed.
- Ensure that no objects are resting against stored respirators. This could damage the facepiece and result in improper fit when worn
- Destroy disposable respirators when discarded. Break straps or tear the filter to make them unusable for anyone else.