The OSHA Fall Protection and Walking-Working Surfaces Standards deal with both human and equipment-related issues to protect workers from fall hazards. These standards outline where fall protection is required, the appropriate safety systems, proper installation of safety systems and the proper supervision of employees to prevent falls. They are designed to prevent and protect workers from falling off, into or through working levels and from being struck by falling objects from heights.
Fall Protection General Requirements was the most frequently cited standard in 2017.
The ABC’s of Personal Fall Protection summaries the basic components of personal fall protection.
Click on the photo, in the right sidebar, for a link to a PDF to print.
EH&S has four ladder safety training courses that can be found at Learn@ISU:
- Articulated Ladder Safety
- Mobile Ladder and Mobile Ladder Stand Safety
- Single and Extension Ladder Safety
- Step Ladder Safety
Publications and Forms
- OSHA 1910 Subpart D Walking-Working Surfaces
- OSHA 1910.28 – Duty to have Fall Protection and Falling Object Protection
- OSHA 1910.29 – Fall Protection Systems and Falling Object Protection
- OSHA 1910.140 – Personal Fall Protection Systems