Ergonomics is the science that addresses human performance factors (human engineering) and how they relate to the job, the workplace, tools, and the environment. An overview of EH&S' ergonomic program is available in Ergonomics Introduction.
EH&S offers courses in office ergonomics and sprains and strains prevention, as well as ergonomic worksite evaluations. To request a worksite evaluation by EH&S:
- Inform your supervisor about your concerns and that you would like to schedule an evaluation.
- Fill out the Ergonomic Questionnaire (PDF) and submit to EH&S.
- Provide an account number. Basic ergonomic evaluations are available for a fee. Refer to the Fee for Services (PDF) for pricing.
- Call EH&S at (515) 294-5359 to schedule an evaluation.
All employees seeking treatment for work-related injuries or illnesses, including ergonomic medical concerns, must first notify their supervisors. Supervisors must complete an incident report through the ISU Incident Portal within 24 hours for each employee impacted.
To arrange ergonomic equipment installations or other workstation modifications, contact Central Stores at (515) 294-8484.
- American Optometric Association - The Effects of Video Display Terminal Use on Eye Health and Vision
- ErgoWeb - Information on Ergonomic Products and Equipment
- Lifting Techniques- Sponsored by U.S. Army Center for Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine
- NIOSH - Ergonomics and Musculoskeletal Disorders
- Office Ergonomics
- Office Furniture Spot - Fitting Office Furniture to Workers Needs
- Typing Injuries - Frequently Asked Questions
Ergonomics eBook (PDF) An eBook Resource: Not a Course for Credit