Departments are encouraged to form safety committees to serve as independent advocates for the safety of staff, faculty, students, and visitors. EH&S is your university resource to promote safe work practices, protect health and minimize impacts on the environment.
For help in establishing your departmental safety committee, contact EH&S at 294-5359.
A safety committee works with administration, researchers, staff, and students to:
- Implement university safety policies
- Identify departmental hazards
- Plan emergency preparedness
- Cultivate an attitude of safety at Iowa State
Specific College/Department Safety Committees
- College of Engineering
- College of Human Sciences
- College of Veterinary Medicine
- Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Materials Science and Engineering
- Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition
Student Organization Safety Committees
University Compliance Review Committees
- Humans - Institutional Review Board (IRB) - reviews any research involving human participants.
- Animals - Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) - reviews any research or teaching activities involving the use of live vertebrate animals.
- Biohazards - Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) - reviews any teaching or research projects that involving the use of certain biological agents.
- Radiation - Radiation Safety Committee (RSC) - reviews any research project that involves the use of radioactive materials or radiation-producing devices.