Emergency Operations Plan
Iowa State University has an Emergency Operations Plan that covers essential university operations during a major emergency or disaster. The implementation of this plan will reduce or prevent the loss of life and damage to property. No one can predict when a disaster might happen or how severe it will be, but it is prudent to plan for one. In the event of a disaster, ISU will have four objectives:
- Minimize the risk to students, faculty, and staff.
- Support students who remain in Ames.
- Continue functions essential to univeraity operations during the disaster.
- After the event, resume normal operations as soon as possible.
Department / Unit Emergency Plan Template
Departments or units should each have an Emergency Plan that details the functions in their area that must continue if the university must suspend activities and close for an extended period. The Emergency Plan should be updated at least annually. Key elements of the department plan should be:
- Leadership succession
- Essential personnel and operational functions
- Communication and information management plans
- Key internal and external dependencies
- Recovery plan