Radiation Producing Device/X-Ray Worker Approval Process
Each individual who wishes to be authorized to use x-ray equipment at Iowa State University must first receive training concerning
- the radiation hazards associated with the use of the equipment,
- the function and importance of the equipment’s safety devices,
- proper operating procedures, and
- procedures to follow in the event of a suspected radiation exposure.
The principal investigator in charge of the x-ray equipment, however, has the responsibility for providing any additional device-specific training required to ensure the safe use of the particular equipment involved.
Complete Initial X-Ray/Radiation Producing Device Safety Training
- Complete the online X-Ray Safety Fundamentals training course at the Learn@ISU.
- Complete device-specific training for each system that the worker will be using. A copy of the training contents and an attendance record must be maintained. This is the responsibility of the lab.
Request Addition to a Current Radioactive Material Authorization
- Complete the X-Ray/Radiation Producing Device Worker Application (PDF)
- You must list a currently approved Principal Investigator who has approved your addition to their X-Ray Use Authorization.
- Submit the X-Ray/Radiation Producing Device Worker Application via Campus Mail to: EH&S, 2408 Wanda Daley Drive / 3602 or fax the form to (515) 294-9357.
- EH&S will add you to the PI’s authorization and you will then be able use radiation-producing devices.
Annual Training Requirement
- X-Ray workers are required to complete annual x-ray safety training.
- All currently approved workers need to complete the training during the scheduled time.
- Workers failing to complete the training by the dead line listed in the notice will be removed as authorized x-ray users.