Radiation-producing devices create ionizing radiation in various forms. X-Ray devices include diagnostic and therapeutic medical systems for human and veterinary use. X-Ray diffraction and fluorescence devices are common for laboratory use. Linear accelerators produce both photon and particle beams for research, therapeutic and industrial applications.
EH&S oversees the use of all radiation-producing equipment on campus. This includes the diagnostic x-ray machines used at the College of Veterinary Medicine and the Student Health Center, as well as research systems used in the laboratories for x-ray diffraction and electron microscopy. X-Ray equipment could pose a significant hazard and must be registered with EH&S.
Principal Investigators must receive specific authorization from EH&S to use radiation-producing equipment on campus. EH&S conducts an annual inventory and inspection of the radiation-producing equipment and submits the required registration information to the Iowa Department of Public Health.
Principal Investigators are ultimately responsible for the safe use of x-ray equipment and must ensure that all personnel using the equipment have up-to-date safety and device specific training. The requirements for using x-ray equipment on campus are found in the Radiation Safety Manual and the X-Ray Systems Manual. For general x-ray information or to register an electron microscope or x-ray unit, contact EH&S at (515) 294-5359.
This section applies to all persons operating x-ray producing devices.
- Area Surveys
- Healing Arts Screening / Human Subject
- Radiation Producing Device/X-ray Authorization Approval Process
- Radiation Producing Device Disposal
- Radiation Producing Device/X-Ray Worker Approval Process
- Registration / Inventory Requirements
- Safety Requirements
- Training Requirements
Publications and Forms
- Application for Use of X-Rays and Radiation Producing Devices (PDF)
- Checklist for Obtaining and X-Ray Authorization (PDF)
- Generic SOP template (PDF)
- Radiation Producing Device/X-ray Worker Application (PDF)
- X-Ray Audit Form (PDF)