The Laboratory Safety Partnership is a joint effort between the ISU research community and EH&S to increase safety performance and awareness in laboratories. A Departmental Lab Safety Contact (DLSC) is appointed by the department chair and serves as the department’s representative within the Partnership while members of the Laboratory Safety Group serve as the representatives for EH&S.
The Partnership is aimed at empowering and developing the role of the DLSC in order to build a stronger relationship between EH&S and researchers. By creating trust, reliability, and cooperation between departments and EH&S, the message and practice of safety can be delivered more effectively.
This Partnership also provides an avenue for prompt feedback, therefore promoting timely and continual program improvement.
Partnership objectives include the following:
- Webpage – a resource specifically customized for the Departmental Laboratory Safety Contacts
- Lab Safety Digest – electronic summary of lab safety information distributed semi-annually
- Safety Snapshot – electronic summary of lab safety survey results for six month period; DLSCs will only be able to view the Snapshots for their designated departments
- Customized Curriculum – curriculum created for designated DLSCs; provides a framework for general and departmental-specific laboratory safety
- Forum – department and EH&S representatives will meet on an annual basis to network and discuss questions or challenges amongst peers; the luncheon will also provide an opportunity to recognize members of the Partnership or hear from guest presenters; objectives for the following year will also be presented at the Forum