Accidents & Injuries



This includes students injured while employed at Iowa State University. Refer to the University Human Resources Frequently Asked Questions document for more information on Workers' Compensation requirements.


All accidents and injuries occurring at work or in the course of employment must be reported to the employee's supervisor as soon as possible (even if no medical attention is required) and in the following ways:

First Report of Injury (FROI)

Supervisor or injured employee (reviewed by supervisor)

Within 24 hours via AccessPlus - See steps below. Contact Environmental Health and Safety at (515) 294-5359 for guidance and assistance, especially when a serious injury or major loss occurs.
Accident Investigation Supervisor As part of the FROI via AccessPlus. Be prepared to provide details about the incident. Supervisors are encouraged to obtain written accounts of the accident. 
Incidents Resulting in Hospitalization or Fatality Supervisor Within 8 hours - call University Human Resources (515) 294-3753 and Environmental Health and Safety (515) 294-5359.


Follow these steps to begin a First Report of Injury and Accident Investigation:

Login to AccessPlus >>> Select Employee tab >>> Select Work Injury >>> Select Continue

The supervisor is responsible for completing a First Report of Injury (FROI) and submitting this electronically via AccessPlus within 24 hours of when the incident is reported. Employees can complete FROI's but supervisors must review, approve and electronically submit to University Human Resources.


Medical Treatment

Life Threatening Injuries Call 911 to request an ambulance and notify supervisor as soon as possible
Non-Life Treatening Injuries Administer immediate first aid using the First Aid Procedures. Report to supervisor, who will arrange medical care with McFarland Clinic, Occupational Medicine, P.C. 1215 Duff Avenue, Ames, IA (515) 239-4496.
After-Hour Treatment or Emergencies

Mary Greeley Medical Emergency Department (515) 239-2011 or 911, please notify medical staff when treatment is due to workplace injury or illness.

Follow-Up Care McFarland Clinic, Occupational Medicine, P.C. 1215 Duff Avenue, Ames, IA (515) 239-4496
Outside Ames Area Refer to the Human Resource Services list of Approved Medical Providers for treatment of work-related injuries.



Accident Prevention, Reporting and Investigation - Iowa State University Policy




All accidents and injuries sustained by Iowa State University students while in academic classes or events sponsored by the university must be reported to Risk Management by the student and a university representative using the ISU Uniform Incident Report.

For further direction, see “Accidents and Injuries, Student” in the University Policy Library.


Medical Treatment

After-hour treatment or emergencies Mary Greeley Medical Emergency Department, (515) 239-2011 or 911
Normal business hours and Saturday mornings Thielen Student Health Center Sheldon and Union Drive, (515) 294-5801